Sunday, March 1, 2009

Organics Turkish Bath Towels by Crate and Barrel - BITTER


Ok. So I like buying organic. I get organic food when its available and I try to get my kids clothes made from organic cotton (do you have any idea how many chemicals are used in making a traditional cotton shirt?). 

So I go into Crate and Barrel looking for some organic bedding which I saw online. I could never buy sheets without touching them. So the sheets are alright but they are mail order only, so I figure I'll get them online. While I'm there though, I thought I'd replace some towels that were fraying. 

I saw the Organics Turkish Bath Towels. They felt really great so I bought them.  Here's the weird part. I used the towels for the first time today, and they simply do not get you dry. The towels do not absorb any of the water. They just move it around your skin. Maybe the friction is supposed to dry you off. I have never experienced anything like that in a bath towel. Hand towel? Same deal. My wife tried the towels with the same results. 

To add insult to injury, the towels shed. I was covered in ivory colored lint after I used the things, and yes, I did wash and dry them before use.

I threw out the receipt because I was certain the towels would be great. I mean, who has ever heard of a towel that doesn't get you dry. That's the whole purpose of the towel. I guess Crate and Barrel engineered the drying right out of the towels. Hopefully they can look it up on my credit card or something.

So I was planning on buying the sheets, like I said, but after my experience with the towels, I'll be looking elsewhere for my organic sheets. Anyone got any recommendations?

Crate and Barrel, since you sold me towels that don't absorb water for a very premium price, you get a big BITTER and a lost order.

6 comments:

  1. Hi - I am Kris Barabas from Crate and Barrel. I wanted to give you a little more info on these towels.
    Because organic cotton is grown without pesticides and fertilizers the length of the cotton staple is shorter then with cotton that is grown with chemicals. The shortest of the fibers shed in the beginning when the product is new. After a few washings the shortest fibers will all fall away and the shedding will stop.

    The absorbency will also increase after more laundering. Cotton has natural oils that can cause water resistance. A few more cycles in the washer will help this also. However, if you have a water softener in your home or you use fabric softener, the water resistance can remain a problem. Softeners act like hair conditioner, they smooth and coat the fibers. Cotton towels are most absorbent when the fibers are “roughed up” by the washing and drying cycles, and not softened.
    Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kris - Thanks for the comments. I've decided to take your advice and give the towels a longer run in period. They've been washed again and yes, the lint is less but the "drying factor" is still pretty low. I'm going to give them one more wash and use before making my final judgment. You have to admit, though, that this is a lot of work to "make a towel work".

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, Kris. I'm sorry to report that, after 3 washes and numerous uses to "break them in" the Organics Turkish Bath Towels still stand atop the mountain of worst towels ever. I can't imagine a worse towel. And to make matters even worse, I think the towels are developing pits (likely due to the excessive shedding). These towels will definitely be going back to the store.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your advice....I'll try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In bought egyptian cotton towels year ago. I still have these towels and they are in great condition.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you have any idea how many chemicals are used in making a traditional cotton shirt? No, I didn't know until I read your review. This is the first time I've ever heard of bath towels that don't absorb water. That sucks! I bet if they have customer support their agents are kept busy with complaints all day long.

    ReplyDelete