Thursday, April 2, 2009

Service Charges and Tipping - Better or Bitter?

Here's just a very quick post. When getting food via delivery, many restaurants now charge a delivery fee. I'm not sure if this started when gas prices were spiking, but it's here to stay. At the same time, I still tip anyone who delivers food to my house.

The question is, should you tip someone if there is a service charge? We have become accustomed to tipping people like waiters and waitresses because their pay system is primarily based on the tips. Would you feel the same way though if you got the check and there was a line item for "Food Service Charge"?

I tend to feel that the delivery charge has nothing to do with the delivery person, so the tip is still necessary, but I just thought I'd reach out for your take on it.

2 comments:

  1. Mike - thanks for coming by the SAMBA blog and leaving a great comment. I hope you're able to convince the CEO the merits of your idea.

    I would still pay the tip if I'm unsure who gets the service charge. I don't know, but it seems to me like the restaurant gets to keep the service charge. The delivery guy still depends on tips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You better still tip the driver. I'm sure they don't get any of the service charge.

    ReplyDelete