Saturday, April 25, 2009

Scott's Turf Builder - Shame Marketing - BITTER


Scott's is running a commercial for its Turf Builder product right now which I really don't like. It falls into a category of ads I called either "stigma marketing" or "shame marketing". (Dan and Chip Heath did a great piece on this concept in Fast Company last year.) These ads try to create a problem to make the viewer feel ashamed or embarassed.


In this particular commercial, a husband and wife are discussing the tradgic problems they had with their lawn. It was riddled with dandelions and they were the bain of their neighborhood. They felt awful because they never wanted to be "that neighbor". Finally, though, after using Scott's Turf Builder, their lawn was cleaned up and perfect. They profess that, "now the neighbors wave at us" as if prior to "perfecting" their lawn they were treated like the scum of the earth. Its the equivalent of trying to make all women think they need to be a size 4 to be accepted. Truly ridiculous.



At what point did someone decide that dandelions were the worst things in the world? I have small children and, at one point, was a child myself. These were actually the greatest things in the world at the time. Free flowers you could pick and attempt to cultivate in a paper cup. Spores you could try to blow out like birthday candles. This is living to a child. When did the lawn become the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel?



When I eventually do have a front lawn of my own, I fully intend to go natural with it. No chemicals fertlizers or weed killers. Just hopefully a lawn without any big missing patches and hopfully a few of mother nature's beauties for the kids to bring in to their mother.



Scott's, for trying to make all of us feel criminal, you get a BITTER.

4 comments:

  1. Actually, the story is true and not just for that couple, but for a lot more than you would believe. Just like there are die hard sports fans, there are die hard lawn fans. People judge you on your lawn and people really take pride in having a nice lawn. Maybe you feel like their copy is a little over the top, but I've done a ton of research on this and the research supports those ads. I'm not saying it's a good commercial at all, but those people exist. My father is one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You think I'm going to smile and wave to a neighbor after they have ignored me because I had dandelions. I'd rather leave the dandelions and flick them the finger. Tell your father to get a life and mind his own business.
    That is the most insane commercial I have ever seen...I never laughed so hard in my life. If your father lived next door to me, I'd plant them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree...God did not put us on this earth to judge others or their lawns.
    Shame on your dad!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet you don't keep yourself well groomed...

    If you have a nice lawn that shows a lot about a person, that they are paying attention to detail, and are neat and tidy.

    Personally... I like the bushes kept trimmed... if you know what I am saying

    ReplyDelete