Monday, January 26, 2009

Facebook 3rd Party Apps - BITTER


Does anyone read the disclaimer you are presented with on Facebook when it attempts to install a 3rd party application (giving gifts, throwing snowballs, something about ninjas and vampires, etc)?

Here's what it says:

"Allow Access?

Allowing '3rd party app' access will let it pull your profile information, photos, your friends' info, and other content that it requires to work.

By proceeding, you are allowing '3rd party app' to access your information and you are agreeing to the Facebook Platform User Terms of Service in your use of '3rd party app'."

Who in their right mind would accept these terms? In order to throw a virtual snowball at someone, you would give up access to all of your personal information, your friends list and how you know each and "anything else it requires to work"?

The federal government need not press on with illegal wiretapping operations. They just need to create a Facebook app for "Sending a Bailout" to a friend. They'd get access to tons of info.

I take a personal responsibility to post inside Facebook every now and again that these apps are potentially dangerous. Keep in mind that these apps not only have access to whatever is in your profile right now, but they also get access to whatever you add later.

I really enjoy Facebook and the way it lets me keep up with my friends all over the world. Sharing photos though? I'll stick with Kodakgallery with forced login and a guestbook of everyone who looks at my pictures.

Because they make you sign your e-life away to throw a snowball, Facebook Apps gets a BITTER.

1 comment:

  1. I never allow these apps, and I didn't even notice the disclaimer. I just think they make Facebook more cluttered than it already is!

    ReplyDelete